Obituaries-January 1899

Following are obituaries and articles about deaths from January 1899, as printed in The Oakland Daily Evening Tribune.

02 January 1899, Page ?, Column 5

Gilbert Todd Barnwell, who had been a resident of Alameda for many years, died last night at his home, 641 Haight avenue. Deceased was aged 67 years, and was a native of Wales. He leaves a widow.
04 January 1899, Page 7, Column 5

Passed Away.

Nathaniel Damon, the father of George, Herbert, Joseph and Walter Damon and the brother of C. W. Damon, died yesterday in the 60th year of his age. He was a native of Pembroke, Mass. The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 o'clock from the residence of the deceased at Seminary Park.

Mrs. Cynthia Ellen Blanchard, wife of J. J. Blanchard, died yesterday in her 44th year. She was a native of Indiana. The funeral took place today at 1:30 o'clock from the Chester Street M. E. Church.
05 January 1899, Page 3, Column 3


F. C. Barkhouse a charter member and one of the first to sign the roll on the evening the lodge was instituted, died in this city on December 22d. His funeral took place on the 24th from I. O. O. F. Hall, and was under the auspices of Pacific Lodge A. O. U. W. and University Lodge I. O. O. F.

Brother Barkhouse was a man well liked by all who knew him and was an active member of the fraternities to which he belonged.

He was an invalid for many years, and suffered great pain for several months before his death, but during his illness he bore up uncomplainingly.

He was a resident of Oakland for a great many years. He was 65 years of age. The lodge charter was ordered draped for thirty days, and resolutions of respect were adopted and spread upon the minutes of the lodge.
06 January 1899, Page 4, Column 6

His First Inquest

Coroner Mehrmann will hold his first inquest to-night. It will be over the remains of Mrs. Hattie Bartlett, who died at 8:30 o'clock last night at 1286 Twenty-third avenue. The cause of death, as certified to by Dr. Foster, were a fractured hip and heart disease.
07 January 1899, Page 3, Column 3


C. B. Elbo died Thursday night in Los Angeles. He was formerly a druggist in this city.
07 January 1899, Page 5, Column 4

Death of a Fireman

William McCurly, a member of Engine Company No. 2 of the Fire Department, died at the County Hospital yesterday. He has been suffering for some time with consumption, and his death was therefore not unexpected. Flags on all the engine houses were placed at half mast, out of respect to the deceased.
07 January 1899, Page 5, Column 5

An Old Resident Dies

John Wilcox, an old resident of San Pablo, died at that place to-day. He was 68 years of age. He arrived in San Pablo in 1855. For thirty years he was a blacksmith and later worked as a carpenter and planer. He served as justice of the peace for six years. He leaves a widow. The funeral will take place next Monday at 11 o'clock A. M., from the Baptist Church of this city.
09 January 1899, Page 5, Column 4

Capitalist Meeks of Temescal Dies in a Chair.
A Coachman Found Lifeless in His Room at the Witcher Place
The Waves Clear Up the Mystery of the Disappearance of Kammer.

Death was busy in this city yesterday, and as a consequence there is more than the usual number of passings away to record this morning. Mohrmann will have considerable to occupy his attention for some time.


One of the victims was Edward Meeks, the capitalist, whose home was in Temescal. He died in the morning, and although he had suffered a great deal of pain prior to his death, he refused to allow a physician to diagnose his case or prescribe for him. He sat in a chair Saturday night, refusing to go to bed, asserting that he would rather die in his chair if he had to die at all. The deceased was a hunchback, and this fact, it is believed, augmented the suffering which he experienced as a consequence of congestion of the lungs and several other ailments from which he had been suffering for some time. Meeks was a native of San Francisco where he was born 36 years ago. He leaves an estate valued at $250,000, some of which is the ground on which the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco stands. Dr. Milton performed an autopsy on the remains yesterday and discovered Meeks' heart was horizontal instead of perpendicular in the chest cavity. The Coroner will hold an inquest.


The body of Louis Kammer, the butcher of Alameda, who disappeared about six weeks ago, leaving his hat watch and purse on Bay Farm Island bridge, was found near the channel of the foot of Park Street, Alameda, yesterday. He was identified by Chris A??born and Ralph Hamlin. The last night of his life Kammer spent in the Encinal House. The deceased claimed that his marital life was not a happy one. After leaving the Encinal House at 6:30 o'clock in the morning it is supposed he jumped into the bay from the island bridge. The Coroner will hold an inquest.


A sailor, named Eric Erickson, dropped dead in a saloon at the corner of First and Webster streets last night about 9 o'clock. He had just entered that place with several friends, when he fell to the floor and died without expressing one word. The deceased was employed on the American barge Nicholas Thayer. He was a native of Finland and was 40 years of age. An inquest will be held.


Thomas Fosker, coachman for W. V. Witcher, president of the Pierce Hardware Company, was found dead in his room in the barn at the Witcher place yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. The discovery was made by a friend, J. D. W?nger?n. The deceased was a native of England. The Coroner will hold an inquest.


Death came to Ignatz Franck yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at his home, 533 Jones street. He had been ill for some time with the grip. The deceased owned a number of properties in Placer and other counties. He was 67 years of age and a native of Germany.


Coroner Mehrmann held in inquest Saturday night over the remains of Chin Goon, the Chinese who died at Livermore, and a verdict was returned that death was due to pneumonia.
10 January 1899, Page 5 Column 3

Distress Threatened

The death of Alfred Payne at 324 Second street leaves his widow and three children in a dependent condition. The deceased came here from Los Angeles and worked until he died of pneumonia. Dr. Dunn has temporarily provided for the family's needs. Mrs. Payne's mother resides in Marshfield, Oregon.
12 January 1899, Page 2, Column 5 AFTER SUCCESS CAME DEATH ---
Mrs. Bigelow Looked Upon a Sack of Gold and Died

Mrs. Caroline A. Bigelow died at her home, 12 Mead avenue, North Oakland, yesterday after looking upon a sack of gold. Heart failure was the cause of death.

Mr. Bigelow, his son and brother-in-law were interested in a mine in Nevada. Recently, they made quite a strike and returned to this city last Tuesday with a bag of gold.

Mrs. Bigelow was shown the nuggets on Tuesday night, and after looking upon the gold she became unconscious and died.

The med have worked hard at the mine and things were just beginning to come their way. The death of Mrs. Bigelow was a great shock to them, although she had long been a sufferer from heart trouble.
14 January 1899, Page 2, Column 5


Mr. Edmund Hindman, who died in Oakland on the 10th instant, was born early in the century at Cornwall, in the State of Connecticut.

Sixty years ago he went to South America and settled in Areguipa, Peru. His first business there was manufacturing furniture, but his health failing, he changed to a life in the mountains, and engaged in the purchase of Alpaca wool and gold dust, spending much of his time amongst the Indians of the country. He found health and business success in this occupation.

He came to California from Peru in 1850 and spent some years in Shasta county, where he was interested in mining in connection with Mr. Charles Camden, now also of Oakland. The friendship which has existed between them has been of the closest from its commencement to the day of his death. He resided in this city for the past thirty years.

The only relative he has ever had in California was a brother, who also came here from Peru in 1849, and who died many years ago.

Personally Mr. Hindman was of a retiring disposition, but he was exceptionally warm in his friendships, most of which were of many years' standing, and all who knew him will hold his memory in affectionate regard.

He had a kindly heart and was gentle as a child.

His Eastern relatives are several nieces and one nephew.

Oakland, Jan. 14th, 1889. L. T. M.
16 January 1899, Page 2, Column 4


FRESNO, Jan. 16-Archie A. Smith, cashier of the Fresno National Bank and prominent here in Masonic circles, died last evening from meningitis, after an illness dating from Thursday evening. He is a brother of City Attorney L. H. Smith. The illness was the result of overwork. For more than one week President John McMullin of the bank has been ill, and the responsibility of his own developed upon young Smith. The strain was too much. He went home on Thursday evening ill, sank into unconsciousness and died as stated.

The remains will probably be sent to his native home, Peoria, Illinois, to be laid by the side of those of his father, who died about four years ago and who also was connected with the bank.
17 January 1899, Page 2, Column 3


RENO, Nev., Jan. 17-Just as the second section of the morning eastbound train pulled into this State, an elderly lade named Mrs. R. Ritchie, en route from oakland, Cal., to Rock Island, Ill., died in her berth. She was accompanied by a little 10-year-old girl. She was sick all night and the porter and the little girl nursed her as best they could. Her remains were taken off here and given in charge of the Coroner. The little girl, whose name is Helen Ritchie, was also detained here to testify as to the circumstances attending her death.
17 January 1899, Page 2, Column 4

Death of Mrs. C. Post

Mrs. Charles Post died yesterday evening at 6 o'clock. The deceased was a native of Wisconsin. The funeral will take place tomorrow from the late residence of the deceased, 1015 Seventh street. Interment will take place in San Jose.
17 January 1899, Page 5, Column 3

Death of Marcus Hawley

Marcus C. Hawley, president of the Hawley Brothers' Hardware Company of San Francisco, died Sunday at his home in Newtown, Conn. He was a brother of George T. Hawley of this city.
17 January 1899, Page 1, Column 7

Passed Away.

Mary E. Newsom died Sunday in the 82d year of her age. The funeral will take place at 10 o'clock from the parlors of Albert Brown. The remains will be buried in San Lorenzo.
18 January 1899, Page 5, Column 3


Rev. Albert F. White, a well known pioneer Presbyterian minister died in Santa Rosa yesterday afternoon. He was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of this city in 1852 and held the position for several years.

He also had charge of pastorates in San Leandro, Los Angeles, and Carson City. He was an eminent scholar and a noted author and writer.

The funeral will take place from the First Presbyterian Church in Santa Rosa tomorrow afternoon.

The old-timers in oakland well remember Dr. White. During his stay in this city he was an active worked in the cause of religion. The First Presbyterian Church did not have a very large membership when he was the pastor. However, he worked hard for the church and laid a foundation that brought about great results. He was a man well known for his charitable acts and had a host of friends throughout the State.
23 January 1899, Page 2, Column 4


Edwin R. Farish, a very well known and popular young resident of Oakland died this morning at his residence, 635 Fourteenth street, after a brief illness. Death was due to quick consumption. A singular coincidence in the sad demise was that this was the young man's birthday, he having just reached his twenty-seventh year.

The deceased has lived in Oakland for many years, and received his education in schools of this city. He was connected with several mining companies and was the secretary of one. At one time he was associated with his father, James R. Farish, editor of the San Francisco Trade Journal, who was formerly editor of the Oakland Times.

The deceased was a member of Live Oak Lodge, No. 61, F. and A. M.; of the Scottish Rite, in which he had taken several degrees. He was the past noble grand of Porter Lodge of Odd Fellows, and was also a member of the encampment.
26 January 1899, Page 4, Column 3


George M. Beckett, captain of the Stanford baseball team, died yesterday morning at Palo Alto after a brief illness. Beckett was taken ill on Tuesday of last week. On Friday Dr. Stillman of San Francisco was summoned. He at once pronounced the case one of appendicitis and operated on the patient but it was too late. Peritonitis had set in, and continued to spread through the system until the end came.

Captain Beckett's death cast a gloom over the University where he was known as a fine student and an athlete of considerable note. The remains will be taken to his home at Arroyo Grande for interment.
26 January 1899, Page 4, Column 4


Miss E. C. Rich, who died on Tuesday morning in Temescal, left a very remarkable collection of pets on her estate. Twenty dogs, a number of birds, three goats and a horse were found on the premises after her demise.

For two days before her death, Miss Rich was too ill to feed her pets, and the consquence was the animals were so ravenous that the neighbors were afraid to approach the wretched, filthy hut that the woman called her home.

The Poundmaster is feeding the canines until it is decided what will be done with them.

Miss Rich was a well known character in Temescal, where she was often seen followed by her numerous pets. She was 54 years of age and a native of Maine.
28 January 1899, Page 8, Column 7

Passing of a Pioneer

N. S. Howard, a pioneer contractor of San Francisco, died at Walnut Creek yesterday. Under his supervision many of the largest buildings in San Francisco were erected. He came to California in his own ship in 1850, and was prominently identified with the business world of the State until he retired several years ago. Deceased was a native of Massachusetts, 60years of age, and leaves three daughters.
30 January 1899, Page 5, Column 5

Mrs. Stickney Dead

Mrs. Sarah A. Stickney, aged 82 years, a native of Boston, Mass., died yesterday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. harriett E. Hibbard, 1221 Eighth street. Deceased was the widow of the late J. B. Stickney. Besides [remainder cut off].